This is the recipe for the baos we've been making on the Big Green Egg at a couple of festivals recently. The creator and owner of Crisbee, Bradley, has been creating some phenomenal versions of this traditional Chinese bao, (a steamed, stuffed bun also referred to as "baozi") and here is one of the recipes that has been consistently drawing crowds.
What we used:
2 10-packs of buttermilk biscuits (20)
4oz smoked sharp cheddar
1lb smoked beef brisket, cubed
4oz candied jalepeño mixed into cream cheese
Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning (Optional)
Tortilla press, lined with parchment paper
10" bamboo steamer set
Pot to boil water (which steams the buns)
Big Green Egg grill
1. Heat up Big Green Egg to 400 degrees (F)
2. Place pot of water on Big Green Egg
3. Take raw biscuit dough and flatten each biscuit with the tortilla press lined with parchment paper (optional: sprinkle Everything but the Bagel seasoning into the flattened biscuit)
4. Take about a quarter-size amount of each ingredient (smoked sharp cheddar, brisket, and candied jalepeño/cream cheese mixture) and place in the center of your flattened biscuit.
5. Fold the edges of the biscuit towards center and pinch them to enclose ingredients and form a bao.
6. Place baos on parchment paper and place 10 on each bamboo steamer tray.
7. Stack bamboo steamers and cook for 7-8 minutes, switching the top bamboo tray with the bottom and cook for another 7-8 minutes.
*Bonus: Drizzle some of our Dilly Sauce onto the baos.