Here is one of our go-to desserts. This pineapple upside down cake is easy to make and has gotten rave reviews at various cooking festivals at which we've shared this.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple slices
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water (or use pineapple juice from the canned pineapple)
- 3 eggs
Pro-tip: Use a cast iron skillet! Pineapple upside-down cakes flourish in cast iron, and most skillets make for a great cast iron baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Add the butter and brown sugar to a #10 cast iron skillet and place pan in oven while preheating.
- Prepare cake mix according to the package. We like the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix.
- Arrange pineapple slices and cherries on top of brown sugar. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries in pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake.
- Invert cake onto serving platter.
Try it and let us know what you think! A slight variation that is also amazing is pineapple upside down cake with crushed pineapple, though we like ours with the pineapple rings and cherry bullseyes. It definitely has added to the excitement when the cake is ready and you flip the pan over for the reveal.
Super simple and one of our favorite easy cake recipes. If you make one and take a photo to share on social media, tag us and we'll share our favorites!